Easy Microwave Butternut Squash Soup
2 C. cooked butternut squash
3/4 C. chicken broth/bouillon
1/4 C. sour cream or cream cheese
1/4 C. chopped red onion
1 T. butter/margarine
1/8-1/4 tsp. basil
Combine ingredients in microwave safe bowl, and microwave 5 min, stirring every couple minutes.
Serve and enjoy. I told you it was easy.
No blender or food processor necessary. This way you can enjoy the great texture of the butternut squash, and have virtually no clean-up. Since I eye-balled the ingredients when I put them in, the only dishes I had were the bowl I cooked in, the bowl I ate from, spoon and butter knife. I have been known to make a half-recipe in the bowl I eat from, and just have a single serving lunch that takes about as long to make as a can of soup would- but is far more delicious and nutritious.
Cooking the Squash
If you do not have cooked butternut squash on hand, here is how you do it the easy way.
- Slice a butternut squash lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds and extra pulp.
- Place in a sheet cake pan or 9x13 (if it fits. Some squash are very long and skinny) shell-side up.
- Pour in just enough water to seal around the edges.
TIP: If you didn't cut your squash very straight, and there is a gap, it's fine. As long as most the edges are sealed it helps the squash not get too dry.
- Cook about 30-45 min at 350. When it's done, you should be able to poke a fork easily into the skinny part of the squash.
- Cool enough to handle and scoop out the butternut squash goodness.