Thursday, August 22, 2013

Crustless Garden Veggie Quiche

We have been blessed again this year with garden veggies! I know a lot of people plant zucchini but then don't know what to do with it other than to make a bunch of zucchini bread. I for one, although I do love a good piece of zucchini bread, couldn't wait to start adding it to our regular meals. Lasagna, beef stroganoff, stir fry and vegetable soup, to name a few.

Today it was quiche.

I started out with a bit of baby spinach from the bottom of the bag that was neglected to be used in a salad. It wouldn't have made a good salad anymore- it was kindof limpy looking. Not gone bad, but it was close.

Part of it I cooked and made into baby food, but after the first two bites the boy had had enough of that, so I pureed up some peaches to add to that.

The other part of it I thought I'd whip into a quick quiche. We had lots of eggs in the fridge, so that sounded like a quick easy lunch. I cracked some eggs into the pie pan, and then added the rest of a bag of cheddar we had in the fridge, probably about 3/4 cup? Then that spinach, and then remembered the ham we had cooked a while back and had bagged in the freezer.

I start feeling a bit reflective of the If You Give A Mouse a Cookie at this point. But this is how I cook.

Then I remembered the frittata recipe I drooled over at Apples to Applique, and the fresh sweet potatoes waiting to be turned into baby food. I took a little one and diced it.
And no quiche is complete without onion, so I sliced off the side of a large onion and diced it while I was at it.

And then I remembered the two large zucchini in the crisper and decided that would also be delicious in there. So I made little sliced quarters of that too, and dumped it in. I leave the peels on, by the way. It's easier to cut, and it adds vitamins.
By this point, my original 6 eggs weren't going to be enough, so I added two more and stirred them in.

Then I realized to my dismay, that with all these ingredients it was going to take my "quick" quiche longer to cook than I had originally planned.
That's okay. It is a whole lot yummier than I had originally planned.



Here's the recipe minus the jabber. J

8 eggs
¾ c. shredded cheddar
1 small sweet potato, diced
1 c. fresh baby spinach
¾ to 1 c. sliced and quartered zucchini
¼ to ½ c. diced onion
¾ to 1 c. diced ham

Stir all together into greased pie pan, making sure eggs are broken and blended well with veggies, and that varieties of veggies are evenly distributed.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 min, or until set.

Ingredients are flexible, as well as quantities. I almost never measure as I cook, so these are guesses as to how much of what is in there. That being said, you can be flexible too, if you don’t have one or another of the ingredients, or if you prefer broccoli over spinach, etc. I wish, for example, that we had mushrooms on hand that I could have added. Mmmm, would have have been yummy or what?




Let me know what you come up with!




No comments:

Post a Comment