Friday, April 4, 2014

Thai Asparagus

I told you I bought a bunch of asparagus. And by a bunch, I didn't mean 'one bunch'. I bought twice as much as usual. I told you it was calling my name.

It is ever so good.
And, ever so versatile.

I love asparagus.


I usually just eat it as a side, cooked with a little olive oil and garlic, and usually crushed red peppers. But this time I wanted to make it less Italian and more Asian. I do love me some Asian food!


So this easy recipe was born. Still probably a side dish, since there's no protein really, but it would be excellent with added shrimp, thin-sliced beef or pork, or even chicken (think beef and broccoli Chinese takeout).
I didn't measure really as I cooked, so feel free to adjust as necessary.


Thai Asparagus
1 tsp. olive oil
Dash ginger
Dash soy sauce
Dash crushed red peppers
1 1/2 cups fresh asparagus, broken into  1-2 inch pieces
1-2 Tbsp. diced onions
1-2 Tbsp chopped red bell peppers

Heat oil in small skillet. Add ginger, soy sauce and crushed red peppers. When hot, add onions and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are tender (few minutes). Add asparagus pieces and cook 5-7 min, until tender, adding water to skillet if necessary to prevent sticking or burning.

Serve over brown rice.




2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love asparagus, and am so glad they're in season now! I will have to try them cooked this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! If you like Asian flavors your mouth is about to have a party :)

      Delete